printf(1) -- Linux man page
NAMEprintf - format and print data
SYNOPSISprintf FORMAT [ARGUMENT]...
DESCRIPTIONNOTE: your shell may have its own version of printf which will supercede the version described here. Please refer to your shell's documentation for details about the options it supports.
Print ARGUMENT(s) according to FORMAT.
- display this help and exit
- output version information and exit
FORMAT controls the output as in C printf. Interpreted sequences are:
- double quote
- character with octal value NNN (1 to 3 digits)
- alert (BEL)
- produce no further output
- form feed
- new line
- carriage return
- horizontal tab
- vertical tab
- byte with hexadecimal value NN (1 to 2 digits)
- character with hexadecimal value NNNN (4 digits)
- character with hexadecimal value NNNNNNNN (8 digits)
- a single %
- ARGUMENT as a string with `\' escapes interpreted,
- except that octal escapes are of the form \0 or \0NNN
AUTHORWritten by David MacKenzie.
REPORTING BUGSReport bugs to <email@example.com>.
COPYRIGHTCopyright © 2004 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
SEE ALSOThe full documentation for printf is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and printf programs are properly installed at your site, the command
- info coreutils printf
should give you access to the complete manual.